When the bananas start to ripen, or as my kids call it ‘the bananas are bad’, I usually make banana bread or freeze them for later use. More than often, I will have only one banana gone ripe. With a bit of trial and error, I think I have mastered a quick and simple recipe for energy bites that the whole family can enjoy. Do you have just one ripe banana sitting on your counter? If so, then this is the recipe for you!
- 1 medium ripe banana, mashed
- ½ cup peanut butter
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 ½ cup old-fashioned oats
- ½ cup chocolate chips (we used mini ones)
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- ½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- In a mixing bowl, combine honey and peanut butter. Melt together in microwave for 30 seconds on high and then mix
- Add mashed banana to peanut butter and honey and mix well
- Next add oats, chocolate chips and chia seed to the mixture
- Mix well, cover dough, and chill in refrigerator for 30 minutes
- Remove dough from refrigerator, roll mixture into balls, about 1 inch in diameter
- Lastly, rolls balls in the coconut and enjoy
The bites can be stored in an air-tight container in the refrigerator or can be frozen.